Thursday, November 29, 2007

Wedding traditions, part 2

Our wedding celebration included a number of elements from DH's Japanese heritage as well. Our invitations had a cherry blossom motif, and we used folding fans to decorate the pews of the chapel. (Fans are symbols of the wish for future happiness and prosperity at weddings: just as the ribs of an open fan stretch out in many directions, so the couple's future unfolds before them.)

But there were two traditions that really took center stage. One was the folding of origami cranes. (The other I'll cover tomorrow.)

In Japanese-American families, it is customary to fashion lucky paper cranes for weddings. This may be due not only to the crane's association with longevity, happiness, and fidelity, but also to the belief that folding 1000 cranes will grant a wish. To make 1001 of these origami birds signifies a wish for luck "a thousand times, and then some."

Folding an individual origami crane goes pretty quickly, as you can see in this animated crane folding tutorial. Folding 1001 cranes, however, is a bit more daunting. Fortunately our mothers agreed to pitch in on the task. So we purchased packet upon packet of gold origami paper, and reconciled ourselves to devoting all of our downtime to crane making!

When the cranes were ready, we strung garlands of them from a large hoop (like the garlands of flowers and ribbons at the top of a may pole). We placed a single crane at each place setting at the reception, as an accompaniment to the chocolates we offered as favors. And even after all this, we ended up with hundreds of cranes in reserve.

Over the years, I've been tucking our wedding cranes into festive packages, and have given several batches to friends to share at their own weddings. We double the good wishes by sharing them :)

3 comments:

Sandie Elsom said...

Have you got photos of them, Fionn? I'd love to see what they looked like at your wedding.

Fionn said...

There is a photo of one of our friends carrying in the hoop of cranes, but I am not sure where the physical photo is located at the moment.

Let me look tonight and see what I can find.

Melissa said...

Oh I love that! how beautiful.