Saturday, November 24, 2007

Giving and receiving

It must be that time of year again, because we got our first question today about our gift lists.

Once my computer rejoined the world of the living, I spent some time going around the web trying to find budget-friendly items to put on a list. And as time went by and I continued to draw a blank, I got to the point where I was wishing that there were some other way of doing this.

I don't really need anything. And the sorts of things that I want are either intangibles (peace, contentment, etc.), or the outcome of seriously time-intensive endeavours. Neither of which would really fit easily on a list.

Which is not to say that I'm not trying anyway. I have been telling my mother for a couple of years now that I would love to have her write down her memories in autobiographical format. (I'd like my father to do this as well, only I've been too scared to ask him.) This would be priceless both to me and to future generations of our immediate and extended family.

All the same, I am sure my parents would give a lot of money not to have to do it. So in a way it's probably too much to ask.

If the only thing I want is too much... what do I do when they ask and keep asking for a list? They aren't going to accept "nothing" for an answer.

Maybe this is why edible gifts are increasing in popularity. (At least food gets used up!) Too bad nobody's close enough that I could just request a home cooked dinner or dessert (which I think would be enjoyable for both giver and recipient). :)

No comments: