Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Art appreciation

We were out and about today (a day off). We stopped off at the MFA and bought a membership, but didn't stay; instead, we headed off down to the south end, where we walked about and wandered in and out of shops and just generally looked around.

One of the shops featured an exhibit of the paintings of an artist by the name of Oana Lauric, and DH took quite a fancy to some of her work.

Ultimately the subject turned to how someone can guess whether any given piece of art might appreciate or not. I told him that unless you are loaded and can hire an expert, you can investigate where an artist has shown (to see if these are prestigious or come-as-you-are shows), and you can do a little research, but ultimately you probably just buy what you like. And if it ends up appreciating, well, that's a side benefit. (Hey, it worked for Gertrude Stein! I don't know how many misses she had amongst the hits, though.)

But to tell the truth, I haven't a clue. Any hints, Tam? Or should I just start googling?

2 comments:

Tamara said...

You know, I really don't know. But I must say - that artist's work is GORGEOUS. I love the Paris paintings especially! Did you buy anything??

As for the MFA, I've still never been and the Museum is hosting an El Greco/Velasquez show in April that looks excellent. I need to get up there!!

Fionn said...

No, we didn't buy anything. We still have the business card, though.

Heh, at the rate we are going, it you just may get up here before we manage to make it down there!