My sister took the opportunity to send along with him a CD of my 5 year old nephew's recital. Liam's performed with other kids before, but I believe this was his first solo recital. It covered all of the material found in the Suzuki violin book 1.
My sister started Suzuki group lessons when she was 3 years old. I don't know how old she was when she was playing the book 1 tunes, but I remember every one. (Not by name, but by melody. The human brain really seems to be wired to respond to and remember music and rhythm very well, which makes me wonder if maybe we shouldn't be integrating more music in the teaching of other subjects. Imagine the possibilities.)
I enjoyed revisiting all of the pieces, but my favorite moment was listening to my sister duet with Liam on three of the minuets. It gave me such a sense of continuity, the passing along of something important from one generation to the next.
Maybe in 25 or 30 years, it'll be Liam playing the harmony for his child in her/his first recital. And the rest of us, very old and gray by then, will be sitting in the audience, remembering...
2 comments:
Gorgeous picture. Look at his fabulous stance! (Or...finger placement? I don't know the terminology - but I meant that he looks like he's holding the violin very well!)
How nice for your sister to be able to duet with her son!! Yay Liam!
Yes, I was especially impressed by his bow position!
The plan is for them to be able to have a family duet (they'll introduce Kira to the cello when she's old enough). We'll see how that goes.
Post a Comment