Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Fierce white tiger

It's been 2 1/2 years since Finny was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, and 6 months since he was diagnosed with multiple myeloma.

And yet, the cat himself is currently purring away on my lap, 3 lbs lighter and quite a few whiskers short (side effect of the radiation on his thyroid gland), but otherwise the apparent picture of health, especially for a nearly 16 year old kitty.

Worry and fear are supposed to compromise the immune system, right? So does the fact that he doesn't know (and can't ever comprehend) that he is "supposed" to be sick help keep him from manifesting symptoms?

Or is the old macho wildcat lineage rearing its head in my gentle little housecat?

4 comments:

Melissa said...

well I am living proof that one can do quite well without much of a thyroid. and I do hear that we would be the last ones to die off in a famine-LOL!

I haven't commented much, but wanted you to know I've enjoyed your entries! :)

Fionn said...

Are you taking anything for it? He is functioning fine on half a thyroid, with no medication.

Thanks for your kind words :)

Tamara said...

Awww, I'm glad to hear Finn is doing okay! :)

Melissa said...

Yes, I'm unfortunately on mega doses of synthroid, but I feel just fine as long as the levels are good.