I had noticed "I Love You Like Crazy Cakes" in my local bookstore before Sandie began her adoption journey. The lovely, peaceful watercolor illustrations caught my eye every time I went past the display, so when I had the excuse of this blog, I jumped at the chance to purchase a copy.
I put it away for a while, intent on other projects. But this summer, when I saw some of Anna's watercolors, I felt they were vaguely reminiscent, and mentioned the book to her. My comment was met with astonishment and delight, for it was, in fact, one of the very books she had referenced.
So the book has been here waiting patiently for me to post about it for a couple of months. And now, flailing about trying to find something to say in the longest November on record, I turn gratefully to it once more.
"I Love You Like Crazy Cakes" follows the story of a woman who adopts a baby girl from China. It is based on the author's own adoption experience, and is written as if in response to a question from her young daughter about how they came to be together.
As you would imagine from this description, the mother simplifies a fair bit for her young listener, so the whole adoption goes off lightning fast and without a single hitch, and the baby takes to her immediately. (Ah, poetic license.) With its simple and direct language, the book works well as a story to read to a young child.
Now, I know that Sandie prefers that the adoption stories she purchases show a family situation as close to her own as possible, and this one does feature a single mother and no siblings. I thought about this when I chose to purchase it, as I'm fully expecting to pass all of these books over to her in time. And I concluded that, while the book focuses specifically on the relationship between the mother and the daughter, it doesn't necessarily exclude the possibility that there may be other members of the family. If one wanted, one could easily add more family members into the list of people who come meet the baby once she's off the plane. (I always felt free to add and change things in the picture books I read to my little brother when he was young. He never called me on it! Authors, please don't kill me for this!) However, Sandie, if you feel hesitant, I'd be happy to keep this one with me. It really is a very pretty book and I wouldn't at all mind having it for my collection.
Buy this book (or just read more about it):
2 comments:
I expect when I am in the US next month, I will pick up as many books as I can carry. So you hang onto this one - I will get my own copy. It's a lovely story, regardless of your family situation.
I don't have anything against it, but my first preference is for books that more closely mirror our situation - eg. Take one Chinese Sister.
Oh, your suitcase is going to be painful!
Anyway, we should confer when you get back and see if there is anything you are missing, so I can slip it in when I mail you the wish cards.
Post a Comment