I'm also curious about the genuineness of other "traditions" popular within the Chinese Adoption community. I read on Amazon this week that the belief that ladybugs are good luck began about 10 years ago when an American couple saw a ladybug just before they received their referral. Now, that's a lovely story, but I don't want to be raising my child with a false understanding of Chinese beliefs and customs so if that's the case, then ladybugs are out.
Also popular is this:
"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but never break." Ancient Chinese Belief
Apparently this refers to adults who will eventually marry. Does it matter? I'm not so sure.
Let me consult my sources and report back regarding the validity of these "customs."
1 comment:
I saw the same reviews at Amazon!
Wikipedia mentions a red string of fate that sounds like what you are describing here. (The article refers to it being an "East Asian" belief, but the specifics here are Japanese, for whatever that is worth.)
Unfortunately there aren't attributions in the article.
Post a Comment