Sandie and her family are in Australia. I'm in the U.S. We first met each other on a naming board about 7 years ago. If I recall, she was looking for a name for her second child at the time, while I was immersing myself in names as a passionate hobby. We've since taken up residence at another board, where naming is just one of the subjects that occupy our busy little minds.
Last year, Sandie and her family began the process of adopting internationally; they hope to add a little one from China to their family once they make it through the labyrinthine process. (You can follow the progress of her adoption and learn a bit about her and her family on her blog, Ashanti Child!)
Somewhere around the start of the year, Sandie made a comment on our bulletin board about a 100 Good Wishes quilt, providing a link to a site I had actually perused myself before. (I am a quilter and am always poking around the web looking for new ideas and inspirations.) I jumped at the opportunity to take on the project with her, admitting sheepishly that I had actually already been trying to figure out how I could do it as a surprise. The roadblock, of course, was that there was no plausible reason why she should turn over the entire contents of her address book to me without a really creative excuse; while I am as big a plotter and planner as the next person, creativity of that level just completely eludes me.
So, the quilt won't be a surprise, but I think working together just may be more fun - and I am sure there will be plenty of surprises along the way!
If you are adopting internationally, thinking of constructing a quilt yourself, or just passing through, I hope you'll consider following along with us on our little journey. I think it'll be a lot of fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment