Thursday, May 01, 2008

Blocks for the kitty quilt

Tam requested that I share where I am on the kitty wall hanging for Finny's cancer clinic.



I am still pretty uncertain about how it is coming together. Sometimes when you are auditioning fabrics, there is a moment where the colors start to sing. That's when you know you are good to go. I haven't gotten to that point (yet) with this one.

I may pull some of the individual blocks and substitute others. (For instance, I need to move past my crush on the stars and moons background fabric in the upper lefthand corner so I can admit the color won't really work unless I add at least one other warmer blue into the mix). The hyacinth blue sashing between the blocks is also not set in stone, and the potential border fabric is so up in the air that I am not even showing it.

Part of the struggle is that I really want to get the emotional tone right. The colors need to feel calm and meditative, and avoid coming across as unthinkingly cheerful on the one hand, or brooding and dreary on the other.

Of course, it is all on hold while I work on the monkey quilt!

7 comments:

Tamara said...

Oh, wow! It looks really amazing so far. Kitty blocks! Very, very nice.

I hear what you're saying on the tone...like the color choices, it will come to you. :)

Are you planning to embroider something special on it for the occasion?

Fionn said...

I will put some kind of a label on the back, but am not yet sure what I'll write on it.

I wish my embroidery skills were better. I always feel like it is a struggle just to get my embroidered words to be legible, so I end up using as few words as I can to compensate ;)

Melissa said...

oh I love it. your quilts do sing! :)

Anonymous said...

I must agree about the stars and moons, but I like the hyacinth blue!

Anonymous said...

i agree with melissa, it's singing already, to me. i love the kitties and the blue.

heather

Sandie Elsom said...

That is such a fabulous piece of art for a vet's clinic.

Vulpesera said...

I think it's a wonderful gift, and your craftsmanship is staggering as usual.