Saturday, May 31, 2008

Appreciation

Went down to drop off the four Snuggle mini-quilts today. None of the people there had any idea what we were talking about. I showed them some information, and recognition still did not dawn. (We ended up waiting 30 minutes for the shelter manager to show up, and she, at least, knew what they were for without the explanation.)

It got me to thinking about how the way that people or organizations receive your gifts (be they material items or gifts of your time) makes a big difference.

Our Project Linus coordinator does a wonderful job with this. She sends her volunteers photocopies of the thank you letters that the hospitals, shelters, etc., send to PL so we can see that what we do is making a difference. This keeps us feeling positive and enthusiastic about the organization and about our roles in it. It makes us feel appreciated.

I think there is probably a lesson in here for me about trying to show more appreciation when people spend time and effort on me as well.

So, for starters: it means a lot to me when people respond to my posts here. It makes me feel that you are listening, and that you care. It also inspires me to keep going here, so if you enjoy my updates, know that your responses help to make them happen! Thank you all, very much!

14 comments:

Sandie Elsom said...

I'm listening, and I enjoy your updates :)

Fionn said...

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

how disheartening-- those snuggle quilts were gorgeous.
i bet if kitties and dogs could write, you would get tons of thank yous! :)
enjoying your updates...

heather

Fionn said...

Echo kept wanting to sit on them while I was working on them, so I know they are kitty-approved. :) Maybe I will make up one just for her and see if I can trade her for the pair of jeans she's appropriated as a sleeping spot ;)

Thank you for reading!

Anonymous said...

I agree - the little furballs will love their new snugglies. I know my pup has to make do with stealing our clothes all the time... he's currently snuggled in a stolen shirt of mine and I don't have the heart to disturb him. :P

Sorry the workers weren't more gracious - ugh!

-k8

Fionn said...

Hey, I didn't know you were reading the blog. Thanks for following along!

I don't blame them for not knowing about the program ahead of time. As DH pointed out, it's entirely possible they were students just there for the summer; this would clearly not be the kind of thing that would come up during training on the register or anything.

What felt discouraging was the complete lack of interest and curiosity. If I handed you a bag of quilts - wouldn't you at least look in the bag...?

Melissa said...

I'd probably take them home for myself.....kidding! :)

Fionn said...

You mean as an employee, or as the maker? ("Oh, you guys aren't interested? Okay, I'll take them home for my kitties!")

Tamara said...

Absolutely, and you'd think they'd at least appreciate the effort and donation regardless, even if they hadn't known about the project! (Hey, I'm not an animal person, but flannel-backed quitlets for shelter animals? Just a very, very sweet gesture).

I'm still listening, too! How are those flannel PJ pants coming along??

Fionn said...

Thank you for reading too, Tam :)

The PJs are done and they are very cozy! (The fabric may have been deeply discounted, but the quality was just fine.) Yesterday was overcast and a bit cooler, so they were (part of) the perfect sleep attire.

Melissa said...

I was thinking if I were an employee..but as the maker too :)

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the 'spirit' it is received in. At one point I was looking to expand my hospital 'comfort baskets' to the next town over. Well I called ahead and arranged an appointment to see the OB ward so we could adapt our basket to what they did already. When I got there no one knew anything about my coming. Then when the head chaplain called me about a week later he just left a voice mail which basically said "Thanks, but we don't need you." I was very irritated! Here we were trying to do something for the grieving parents and this guy didn't even once talk to me and find out about what we do! How would he know if he needs it or not?! It was very disheartening. Thank goodness the nurses here are all very thankful and express it to us often.

...and I love reading your blog ;)

Fionn said...

Melissa, I guess 24" might make a nice little bitty stroller quilt or something after all!

Thanks again for reading!

Fionn said...

Oh, Becca, how frustrating! It sounds like he didn't have the slightest clue :(

Thank you for continuing to read my blog!