Monday, April 14, 2008

Recycling

After going in to sign our tax forms on Saturday, we drove out to Worcester to a sewing/quilting expo. Several years back we had gone to something similar in Lowell, and had found a number of beautiful and unusual fabrics; so we thought this might be an opportunity to pick up some lovely additions for the kitty quilt.

It turned out that this event was more weighted towards sewing than quilting, so there wasn't a whole lot of quilting fabric, etc., we hadn't seen before. However, we did have a nice experience that I wanted to write about so I'll remember it.

We had decided to bring in one of of our Envirosax (the olive bag from the Retro series) to hold the fabric we were trying to match, and to carry whatever other fabric we might purchase along the way.

When we were paying the cashier for our admission tickets, she was very taken with this bag. I mentioned it was a reusable grocery sack, and it sounded like this was a new idea to her, so we talked about it a bit. As DH and I were walking away, I told him it was too bad we didn't have another bag to hold our junk because the woman had liked this one so much. VoilĂ  - he pulled one of the other bags out of his pocket.

Now there's a sign if I've ever seen one. So I went back and told the cashier we wanted to give her the bag she had liked. She was so surprised and delighted (it was really cute!). She tried to press some money on me, and I tried to avoid taking it, but she eventually won out by telling me she was reimbursing my expo ticket price. ;)

I don't know how she will end up using it (e.g., as a grocery bag or not), but I am enjoying imagining that just maybe she might start a mini-trend for reusable grocery sacks in her circle.

6 comments:

Tamara said...

That's really nice. And the bag is really cute! So, no new fabrics in the end?

Fionn said...

Yes, we did get some new fabric, but I'm not sure how much will make it into this particular quilt.

Melissa said...

you two are very sweet :)

Fionn said...

Well, I thought that I would enjoy the memory more than the bag.

Sandie Elsom said...

We have stacks of them - the problem is that I have to remember to a) put them in the car and then b) take them out of the car and into the supermarket with me.

Anyhow, that was a nice thing to do, and I'm sure it will be a nice memory for her also.

Sandie Elsom said...

Now that I've looked at the link, I will say that your reusable shopping bags are much nicer than mine.