Monday, April 28, 2008

For Michele

We narrowed possible striped fabrics down to the two below. (The stripe in the earlier photos did not make the final two: the colors aren't quite right.)

So,

1) Which of the following stripes do you prefer? (Click for a larger view)

a) the narrower of the two stripes (a solid red on white)



b) the wider of the two stripes (a stripe with some mottling and color variation within the red)


Here is a close-up of the two stripes next to the red, for comparison

2) There are two possible fabrics we are considering for borders. In the second of the two quilt photos, you can see the starry fabric as the left border and the darker hand-dye below and on the bottom half of the right right. (If you want to see the pattern better, the starry fabric appears in the background of the close-up shot of the stripes above. The hand-dye is the fabric you see as the border of Caedmon's quilt, and in all of the quilt shots I have taken prior to today.)

Which do you prefer?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like the wider stripes.

heather

Tamara said...

I think I prefer the narrow stripe. But the difference is barely discernible.

I also prefer the hand-dye border, the one that was on Caedmon's quilt. But again, both would fit very well.

It's looking gorgeous!!

Fionn said...

Tam, I don't have a strong feeling on the stripes either. The wider one is interesting to me for the color variation in the red. If you look at the color dots on the selvedge, you can see that it is actually made up of two light warm reds and two darker reds. They are layered over each other in the stripe, resulting in a subtle watercolor look.

However, the width of the narrower stripe (a single solid red) is probably more in proportion with the size of the quilt itself. And DH thinks that it is a better color match.

For borders I would say that it depends on how you want the quilt to feel. The star fabric is sweetly old-fashioned and cozy, and would give the quilt a more traditional look. The hand-dye is bolder and more graphic, and would give the quilt a more contemporary look.

Michele asked, so I admitted that I personally prefer the hand-dye... and that is what she has chosen.