Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Mango and snowball

I am waiting for the weekend to pick up some variegated quilting thread, probably in "Mango," to start quilting the flowerboxes quilt. (The quilt store isn't open very late most weeknights.)

In the meantime, I'm doing some background prep work. One of the things I am going to be working on for the holidays is a photo quilt that DH's parents have commissioned for one of the sets of grandparents. I have the photos, but I haven't gotten the size specs yet, so instead I am trying out some blocks I am considering using.

The one I am doing now is an octagon (known as a snowball block) that works very well in alternation with other blocks, as it creates interesting secondary patterns. It's a great block to have in one's repertoire.

If you queue up all your snowballs, paper piecing turns out to be the ideal method to use when you have a determined lap cat, as you can sew for a while without having to dethrone the little empress: patterns as articles of diplomacy.

No comments: