Sunday, February 25, 2007

What we are waiting for...

In case you are wondering how Fionn is going to fit in sewing the Panda's quilt with all her other projects, I should explain that we have decided to not start officially on the 100 Good Wishes Quilt until we are approved to adopt. For that to happen we have to go through 3 months of social worker interviews & assessment which should start in the next few weeks.

In the meantime, I have been thinking about what fabric I can contribute. (I'm allowed to contribute, aren't I Fionn?) I have a brocade vest that was part of my going away outfit for our wedding. It matched the vests that Scott & his groomsmen wore. I am going to chop that up for the quilt. I also want to find something special for Gemma & Ben to contribute. Maybe it will be a piece of fabric from a favourite piece of clothing (that they have grown out of, of course.)

I also have a large piece of pink fabric that I inherited from my Grandma. It has since become the official "Girls' Night In" tablecloth. "Girls' Night In" is a fundraiser for the Breast Cancer Foundation. The idea is that you get your girlfriends together and stay home and put the money you would have spent towards finding cures & treatments for breast cancer. My friends & I do it a little differently. We get a big apartment or a couple of hotel rooms and all bring along some pink champagne and something to share for dinner, then throw the cost of dinner into the pot to donate. We are developing other silly, funny traditions to go with it (such as the magic fortune telling fish) and my grandmother's pink fabric has become one of them. Grandma suffered from breast cancer in both breasts but recovered both times. So, a piece of Grandma's tablecloth will be going into the Panda's quilt to remember Great-Grandma Claire.

5 comments:

Fionn said...

Do you know the content of these fabrics? Unless this is to be a wall-only quilt, it will need to be something that can be ironed and tossed into the washing machine and dryer.

Sandie Elsom said...

Hmmm... the brocade might be an issue. I can add some silk from it instead, I guess.

We should consider that, when we are sending out the letter - let people know what sort of fabrics are suitable.

Fionn said...

Absolutely. Different fabrics require different treatments, and these are not always compatible with the way you intend to use the quilt or with each other. For instance, cotton wants to be ironed on high heat - but try ironing a piece of polyester on high heat and it'll melt!

Sandie Elsom said...

So will we make it a cotton quilt? That seems simplest.

Fionn said...

Yes, that would be the best plan.

I know that silk can take fairly high heat, so if you want, you can experiment by putting a piece of it through the washer and dryer to see what happens.