Sunday, February 04, 2007

Quilt sighting

I always try to photograph my quilts before I pack them up to go. Sometimes sending them away makes me a little mopey, so I like to make a few visual souvenirs before it is too late. (Of course I would prefer photos of the quilts with their recipients, but that rarely occurs to people, and I shrink from asking. Somehow it feels terribly awkward, like asking for a thank you or something. It is just simpler to snap the pictures myself.)

One of the quilts that I didn’t end up photographing was one that I finished for my friend B. She began the project herself, but since she had a young baby at the time, she had difficulty finding time to come sew. Finally she lost steam altogether. So I dug through my stash to find border fabric, and finished the quilt for her. I was really pleased with the way it came out.

At the time I rationalized that it wasn’t my project to begin with so it didn't make sense to take a snapshot. But later I wished I had one anyway...

Yesterday, we went to a birthday party for B's now 5 year old son. When I came into the living room, something brightly colored caught my eye – and I saw that it was the quilt! It was a real treat, kind of like running into an old friend after years apart. I was thrilled!

Who knew that on a little boy's birthday, I'd end up getting a present too? :)

No comments: