Friday, February 16, 2007

Friendship stars

What, me, only work on one project at a time? Never!

Last year I taught my friend Rebecca how to quilt over the computer (using lots of words and lots of pictures). We didn’t know how well it would work, but she did a great job - she was very focused and stuck with the task all the way through, and her quilt looked really great when she was finished.

Well, last night we were talking on the computer and we decided that it would be fun to try to make another quilt together - but this time, we'd be working on the same quilt instead of on parallel ones.

I usually make my charity quilts for Project Linus, but this time we thought we would contact a charity near and dear to Becca's heart, the National Stillbirth Society, to see if they would be interested in doing a raffle. Becca says that some of the parents like to imagine their babies as being stars (like in Greek mythology) so she thought we could make a quilt with stars on it. She picked white-on-white stars on a scrappy blue background.

These are two sample stars I made:
two stars so far

And here is the layout we are working on. (She's put together a neat idea for the last two rows, using 6" stars instead of 9" stars, but I haven't diagrammed that part yet):

first try at a diagram

We haven't talked about what happens after we put the stars together... but I guess we'll see when we get there :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey this is really nice...and thanks for the photos...you surely have done a great job...well hey i'd also like you to drop by my blog on Friendship Cards sometime and check out all that i've posted there...i'm sure you'll enjoy our visit!!!

Sandie Elsom said...

Oh man... I love you guys.

Anonymous said...

The National Stillbirth Society feels so honored to have someone put so much time, effort and love into this. To raise money for reseach so that no other parent, grandparent, brother or sister will ever have to feel the pain of a Silent birth.

Thank you,
Shirleen Rodriguez
The National Stillbirth Society

Unknown said...

I am so happy we can work on another project together, and I feel honored that you have taken this cause of mine so much to your own heart. You are a true and dear friend!
Rebecca