Saturday, March 08, 2008

Thanks for the memories

I mentioned earlier that I'd asked my mother to write down some of the stories of her life. On my birthday, she sent me 18 single-spaced(!) pages covering her life from birth up until we were born. I am absolutely thrilled to have this, and am looking forward (but not impatiently) to the next installment. Soon she'll get into memories that overlap with some of mine, so that will be pretty interesting. I do have some of my childhood memories written down (stream of consciousness style) but I don't want to influence what she writes, so we will have to compare later on.

I was feeling a little brash tonight, so I barged in and emailed my father to see if he would do one too. And... he said yes(!!!) I can't say I'm not somewhat flabbergasted, but I'm awfully grateful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is such a brilliant idea. i regret i didn't do something like that when my grandmother was alive.

but i still have my parents!

(heather)

Fionn said...

Let me know if you ask them to do it, and what the result is!

For myself, I really like using the stream of consciousness method just to get something down on the page. I can always take time later to put them in chronological order and polish the writing.

Anonymous said...

That is a really cool idea, I bet it was fascinating to read and so special to have.

Fionn said...

One of the things that I loved was seeing the way that it kindled my sister's interest. She's never been into genealogy, or evinced any interest in any of the old stories, but suddenly she was asking me to send her my grandparents' stories too!