Finny had lost more weight at his last vet appointment, so they did a full round of tests. We feared the worst, but, surprise, the results were the best they'd been in a year. Very encouraging.
The vet did ask me to double up on his appetite pills to see if we couldn't get him to fill out a bit. That should be doable, I thought.
But despite the additional chemical motivation, he's been less interested in eating than ever. It's pretty much 5 bites of food and he's done. I can coax him to take a bit more if I feed him from my finger, but then he turns his back on the plate, and a battle of wills ensues as I follow him around the room begging him to take just one more bite. (I am sure this looks pretty comical. But an empty tummy seems to makes him feel worse, so it is important to try to get him to eat.)
We think the current round of issues can be attributed to the pancreatitis. While it's a relief to think that it's probably not the end stages of the cancer, it is still hard to see him like this.
I am trying him on a new pill to see if it helps. And I think I will also let him take the lead on eating today. I know that every ounce I can get on his body now may give us critical leeway later, but I think maybe a day off from the feeding stress would be a good thing for us both.
4 comments:
so sorry to hear of finnegan having some trouble.
heather
Aw, I'm sorry, Steph, but VERY glad to hear that the test results were so encouraging.
Eat, Finny, eat!!
It seems it was not pancreatitis after all, unfortunately.
We took him for an ultrasound today because he hadn't improved. Based on the results, they are doing more tests to see if they think they can take care of the situation with surgery or if it'll require a more aggressive chemo regimen.
(I guess there is still only so much they can catch with the cancer tests they were doing... :( )
I'm sorry, Steph.
You are such a wonderful kitty-mommy. :)
Post a Comment