Saturday, March 29, 2008

Good-bye, sweet Finny

This morning the vet called. She said Finny still hadn't really been eating and they were worried about some of his recent test results. She said they wanted to go ahead and put in a feeding tube; but said before they could put him under to insert the tube, he'd need to be stabilized. After the tube was in, we could come in, be trained on how to use it, and then we could take him home.

Within the hour, she called back. My sweet boy had taken a sudden turn for the worse, and we needed to come in right away. We rushed in and they took us back to see him. They were giving him meds through the injection site in his paw, trying to get his numbers back up. He was just lying there under a little heating pad, and didn't respond to us at all. :(

When they did an x-ray, they discovered what looked like a perforated intestine, due to the cancer. Immediate surgery was the only option - but with dropping blood pressure, bilirubin levels, potassium, etc., he would not have been stable enough to survive surgery.

They carried him to us in a little red blanket, and we snuggled him and told him what a very good boy he was and how much we loved him. Then the vet came in and gave him the last injection. He was gone before she had finished.

I miss my sweet boy so much already...

14 comments:

Sandie Elsom said...

I'm so sorry,love. How are your other cat/s taking it?

Fionn said...

I am not sure they know he is gone. He'd been spending most of his time recently on the bed (trying to recover from the pancreatitis attack, and just being an older kitty, we thought), so he hadn't been interacting with them much.

They both spent a lot of time snuggling with me yesterday, though.

Tamara said...

Stephanie, I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

oh, stephanie, i am so sorry. it is so huge to lose a loved pet. my thoughts are with you. heather

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Stephanie - I know how special he was to you and how much you loved him. I wish I could be there to make a cup a tea and offer you some comfort. Are you at all okay? Marci

Fionn said...

not really okay at all

Melissa said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry :( I'm thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Oh Steph, I am so sorry. I know you loved him very much and he was a very special cat. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this awful time.

Anonymous said...

i keep coming back here, thinking about you.
heather

Melissa said...

I'm thinking about you too.

Fionn said...

Thank you guys for all the kindness.

As I explained to Juno, I haven't really had the heart to be on the bboard and either pretend that everything is fine; or tell the story again. (It is okay if people know; it is just hard for me to tell.)

Fionn said...

If anyone wants to see, there is a lovely picture of Finny (being snuggled by me) on my Yuku profile.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry, Stephanie.

Fionn said...

Thank you, Aly. I really appreciate it.