Saturday, March 15, 2008

Fun with pixels

I found a Scottie dog block online, and it occurred to me that if I blew up the size and extended the background a bit, I could make the block pattern into a really cute one dog baby quilt. I showed it to DH, and he said that the doggie needed a ball to play with too, so I added that in. Here's what the resulting quilt pattern looks like:



I have a deep gray fabric with a nice mottled look that could work very well for the doggie; the background will simply be a variety of light and medium-light blues; and the ball will probably be red, unless I simply have to use red for an inner border, in which case I'll just play and see what looks best.

Simple, cute, and nice light-dark visual contrast for a baby. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

fantastic- that's going to be absolutely adorable.
heather

Fionn said...

I got the squares cut out (and the pieced ones sewn), and a potential border fabric chosen - and I do like it :)

Anonymous said...

can't wait to see this one!

my parents have a little bearded dog upon whom we all dote, and i sent my brother the cut-up-cake link to the terrier cake!

heather

Anonymous said...

so sweet! My grandma collected Scottie Dogs, so I just know I'm going to love this one!

Fionn said...

Hi Aly, welcome to the blog!

It turns out I am making the ball red-orange to go with an element on the backing fabric. (The backing is really perfect for this quilt. In fact, once I knew I was using it here, I went back to the fabric store to see if there was more, but since it's an older fabric it was sadly all gone.)