Sunday, November 22, 2009

Diet makeover

My check-up last week revealed that my cholesterol is higher than it should be. My father and paternal grandmother both have/had high cholesterol so some of this may be unavoidable. But I know I've been really sloppy about the whole sensible diet and exercise thing lately, so I am giving myself a dietary makeover (both to address the cholesterol issue specifically and just to eat better).

I have been trying to limit things like sugar, rice, white flour, etc., and have been increasing my fruit and veg intake. I've also added blueberries, flax seed, and walnuts to my diet, all things which are supposed to help lower cholesterol.

(Speaking of walnuts, we went out in search of whole walnuts yesterday and ended up at a veritable vegetable heaven: a store called Russo's that had aisles and aisles of fruits and vegetables, some of which I'd never even heard of before! It was fantastic, and I can't wait to dig in to all our yummy fresh food!)

As for exercise, I am starting back on that too. Just walking for now. But, we'll see what happens. :)

1 comment:

Tabitha said...

Good luck, Love! It's great you've found a fun new store to make the lifestyle change more exciting.