Thursday, May 21, 2009

Double pink

Here are two other backgrounds I auditioned for the ice cream quilt. Trying them helped me get a better sense of what the quilt wants.

This is a small plaid. The minimal amount of contrast between the background squares and the backgrounds of the ice cream blocks ends up making the quilt feel a little washed out. It is lacking some visual sparkle.




This next option is better but still not ideal. If you compare this fabric with the hand dye (there's a strip showing on the left in the photo) you can see that the colors are very similar; this does seem to be the general shade and saturation that the quilt wants. But I can't help but feel that if I'm going to repeat 6" chunks of fabric across a quilt, the print really ought to be a little more compelling than a pink cowhide pattern...



Back to the fabric store!

4 comments:

Sandie Elsom said...

What about bringing in one of the other colours, say the purple, for the border?

Fionn said...

This purple?

http://www.mycotton.biz/cgi-images/528-5.gif

Sandie Elsom said...

ooh yeah, that looks nice. But don't take my word for it - I'm not known for my artistic abilities!

Fionn said...

I'll see if I can't find some at the fabric store. (Yesterday's trek was supremely unsatisfactory, as two of the three shops closed before we got there!)