Do you ever randomly look up and read about people online whom you used to know? Would you want to know if someone looked up and read about you?
A former classmate of mine wrote in to our alumni magazine with an update not long ago. He mentioned, among other tidbits, that he and his wife now have six kids.
I remembered having heard the names of the first three kids quite some years ago, and thought at the time that the parents had a certain naming flair. Being a good name geek, and always on the lookout for unusual naming choices, I was curious to know what they'd called the three younger kids, so I plugged their names into a search engine to see if I could find out.
It turns out that the family has a blog. It's well-written, engaging, funny, touching, and has lots of great photos of kids and sewing projects. They face some interesting challenges, and reading about those has made me think a lot too. I think I'll want to follow along with this blog in the future.
But I don't feel comfortable telling them I'm reading - somehow this feels like I'd be forcing myself on them or intruding into their lives. Is this wrongheaded? Since they have chosen to write about their lives online, they are clearly okay with having people read what they've written. They link to the blog from their ebay storefront - essentially, they are inviting every Tom, Dick, and Harry to pop in whenever they like.
But are the rules different when it's a Tom, Dick, or Harry whom you know? Would you want to know if someone you knew (even someone with whom you hadn't spoken in 10 years) were reading your blog? Or would you rather remain happily ignorant?
4 comments:
I think I would want to know. I think it's pretty innocent to say you read the update in the illumni mag. and looked them up to see how they were doing.
Does it make a difference if I tell you that the guy in question is an ex?
i think that when people write a blog, they want an audience. i think the person would love to know you read it.
heather
I have reconnected with a bunch of people that I used to go to high school with...people I am *very* different from- and I told them. The response is usually good-natured shock. :)
I say go for it, especially if it's a blog (and an engaging one at that?)
Post a Comment