Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Project Sub Rosa

NB: I am speaking in general terms here as this project is still ongoing.

A group of us decided to make a quilt for a friend who was in a tough spot. After I put out the call for participants amongst our larger group of friends, 22 people responded. This was going to be a pretty ambitious project - not because of 23 quilt squares (including my own), but because of 23 personalities.

(At a loss for a name, I am referring to this project under the nickname I gave the place where we discussed it, Sub Rosa.)

We initially asked participants to provide several things: 1) a piece of fabric, 2) a bit of money to help out with costs, and 3) a note to the recipient that explained something about the fabric. The plan evolved as it went along; and the idea of writing notes expanded into making a scrapbook that would hold the notes, fabric swatches, and 4) photos. (The scrapbook was picked up by one of the other women in the group, who has made scrapbooks before. No names here, in case the recipient somehow stumbles across this page, but this is someone with whom I have worked before, and know to be extremely conscientious, an excellent project partner. I felt glad to know that the scrapbook was in her hands!)

I had set the general deadline 2 weeks from the day of the announcement of the project, knowing that people needed time to find fabric and mail it to me. It turned out, though, that most of the people in the group were not fabric store habitués; and in the end, everyone chose to have me order the fabric of their choice from a store online.

Knowing that it would take about a week for fabric to arrive here, I set an interrim fabric ordering deadline of Friday, a week after the start of the project. Much of that first week was spent conferring with people about their fabric choices. Trying to capture an idea or a personality in fabric can be tricky, especially if you are trying to stick to a certain color scheme. (One Barbie pink square, reflective of a personality though it might be, could be a color fiasco amidst the autumnal colors we wanted.) So there were negotiations and compromises, and a whole lot of searching, which ended up being more time consuming than I would have guessed. It came to occupy most of my waking thoughts. I would lie in bed at night brooding about fabric, and would shuffle out of bed in the morning, still thinking of fabric. By the end of the week, I was getting a little loopy. But in the end, we were able to come with a set of squares that reflected us, and looked good together.

(No photos here just in case!)

Once the fabrics were ordered, it was time to turn our attention to items 2-4: contributions, letters, and photos.

No comments: